Wednesday, February 24, 2010

NO LOGO

Successful businesses or corporations are built on a strong foundation. In the old days manufacturing was the foundation. The shift of the ideal foundation from manufacturing to branding is simply following the idea that 'a brand never dies.' As Hector Liang explained: "Machines wear out. Cars rust. People die, But what lives on are the brands." (202) Corporations have invested more into branding simply because, let's face, 'branding sells.' If a company wants more revenues then they have to focus on costumer satisfaction and the only way to keep a customer satisfied is to provide them with what is expected of the brand. The brand itself is an image of the company. Certain people only push for the image associated with that brand. I testify to this as I love the 'clean-cut couture' of H&M brand jackets and pants. Their apparels have a nice body-shape conforming feel. I hardly shop at any other stores because they do not provide me with the 'image' that I'm looking for.

I associate myself with this brand simply because of the 'fit or image' of the apparels. However, it's important to note that a majority of people who affiliate themselves to a brand do so only because of the logo. I know many of my friends who don't have a specific style of clothing that they wear. They simply wear whatever is '"hot" at the moment. Ed Hardy shirts, for example, cost more then the average shirt. Many customers wear those shirts because of the graphics and logo on the shirts. Be it a size small or extra large; $25 or $45, as long as its a Ed Hardy shirt they will buy it for the sake of "wearing the brand." I don't wear the brand I 'wear the fit.' Yes I am still stuck to a brand as a result, however if I were to find another store at the moment that had the same selection of clothing and affordable prices, I would have no second thoughts of shopping from there as well.

It is quite hard to detach yourself from a company if they continue to provide you with the style and functionality that you seek and expect of their products. In other words you become bonded to the brand. The more people adhered to the bran the higher the company's revenue. This is the main reason why companies have strained away from production in favor of branding.

No comments:

Post a Comment